Sunday, November 20, 2016

Week 11 - I learned Mandarin... sort of - 11/14/2016

Just in case you were wondering there is only 40 days tills Christmas and there is officially an aisle in Walmart that has all the holiday goodies! We went shopping today on our P-day we got super excited so we took a picture as well haha 

Sister Wu and I on exchanges 
We had exchanges on Tuesday of this week and so Sister Gibb stayed in our area and I got to go to an area called the Married Student Stake. This entire stake covers the villages which is the married student and foreign housing for the students that attend the University. A special note about this stake, since they do house several foreign students many Chinese speaking students are interested in learning about the gospel. While on exchanges we got to teach several lessons but two of those were only in Mandarin and so I really had no clue what was going on. It was so cool though because although I couldn't understand what was being said, I was still able to feel the truthfulness of the message that my companion for the day, Sister Wu, was sharing with them. Plus it was pretty cool because I got to learn some phrases in Mandarin. 

This week was very slow when it comes to lessons. We did not have one lesson and currently our teaching pool is dwindling faster than we can replenish it. We went out everyday trying to contact and find as many people as we could but it felt like there was no one walking outside or answering their doors. We had this one lady answer her door who was Yugoslavia. She wasn't too religious but said she has read several religious books such as the Koran and even the Book of Mormon. We talked with her for a little while and she shared with us that her mother had passed away a few years ago. We shared the knowledge and the truths we have found from the Gospel of Jesus Christ and how we know that she will be able to see her mother and live with her again. She really wanted to believe but she couldn't let her self. We gave her a Plan of Salvation pamphlet to read and encouraged her to sincerely seek and ask her Heavenly Father what is really the truth. She didn't feel too comfortable meeting with us but decided that she would talk to her coworker about it. We hope that she may be able to have her questions as we're but it was an amazing opportunity to meet her. 

As the week went on and we tried finding  more people we ended up getting a referral from the Elders that cover the family wards in the same area as us. And GUESS WHAT?!?!?? We have a lesson with her tonight! We are very excited and blessed to be able to find someone to teach. 

As missionaries we are very limited on the books that we can read. We typically stick to the standard works which simplify refers to the Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. However, there a couple others books that we get to read as well. One of the is called Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage. It goes through the course of Jesus's life and references the New Testament. I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! I have really trying to gain more understanding and knowledge about Christ and this book has taught me so much, so far, about my older brother, and Savior, Jesus Christ. Also as I am reading the New Testament I feel like I have never had a stronger relationship with my Savior. He suffered for me, making me be able to become like Him one day. He came into this world to do His Fathers will and in so doing showed His love to all those around him. I love Jesus Christ, and as I heard someone say on my mission one time, He is my best friend. I found this scripture in Matthew 24:14 which says, "And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations;". I am so honored to be able to help fulfill this scripture and preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the people of Salt Lake City. Who is Jesus Christ to you? 

I love you all ❤

Sister McCammon
This was my district from last transfer 

After exchanges. I love these sisters!!! 

Tyler, Sister Wu, Nyen, and me. Nyen is investigating the church 

Lunch with Erickson. He served his mission here a few years ago. 

Dinner with some of our favorite members of the Foothill YSA ward. 
Sister Gibb and I taking some selfies in a church parking lot this morning.

Christmas aisle in Walmart ðŸŽ„

No comments:

Post a Comment