Sunday, May 7, 2017

Week 27 - Sister "RED HAIR" - 3/13/2017

This week has been super amazing and really busy. I feel like so much has happened and I don't even know where to begin. Sorry for such the long email!
Last Monday, after finishing all our P_DAY errands, I took a two hour nap and it was the best thing of my life. I haven't taken a nap in quite a long time. I didn't realize how tired I was until I knocked out for so long. Anyways, that was a totally insignificant story from this week haha.
Tuesday night I had an amazing experience! We went with this family to temple square and got to watch Joseph Smith the Prophet of the Restoration movie. Now, I've seen this movie several times on my mission but this one was different. The Soria family has a deaf son and so we got to watch the movie with ASL interpretation! It was so beautiful and the entire time I was watching I was so enthralled and felt my testimony and witness grow of the truthfulness of the Prophet Joseph Smith. I have no doubt in my mind that he was truly a Prophet called of God to restore Jesus Christ's original true church back on this earth.

Wednesday, Sister Evarts and I had a member from our Deaf Ward help us learn how to interpret things we read from books to deaf people. ASL's structure is much different than English and many English words don't even have a sign which means interpreting something from a book is much more difficult and really hard for deaf people to understand. I'm trying my best to learn as much as I can. God has definitely helped me so far though.
Thursday we had Zone Conference and as always I love being able to spend time with my Zone as well as President and Sister Spendlove to council together and learn more about missionary work and the gospel of Jesus Christ. During Zone Conference we talked about Joseph Smith and it was a further testimony builder to me this week of the truthfulness of his calling. We always have some good laughs as a Zone with President so that's fun too. That night Sister Evarts was going to go to dinner with a former less active member she used to teach and her old companion, which meant I got to be with Sister Jensen for a couple hours! Sister Jensen was my first Sister Training Leader and helped me so so so much the first 4ish months of my mission so I was super excited to see her. Also since she goes home at the end of this transfer so I may not see her again for a super long time.
 It's Biking season which means President wants us ALL on bikes. I'm so excited! Even though we have a car in our area because the Deaf Ward is so big our other ward isn't that far from where we live so we'll be on bikes! I just now have to figure out how to ride a bike in a skirt now.
On Friday my district all met up at the City Creek food court for lunch before district meeting and right before, my District Leader and his companion got to meet President Uchtdorf! (He is one of the leaders of our church) President Uchtdorf was just walking out of Macy's and my district Leader just happened to be right there. We were so jealous.
Saturday we had a lesson with the family from Venezuela and it went really great! We had Sister Case (a member from our ward) come and as we taught she would then translate in Spanish and interpret in ASL.
It's pretty crazy but they understood so much better than they have been and they want to come to General Conference! Since I am still fairly new they were asking me what my name is and so I signed Sister McCammon. They were having a hard time recognizing my weird last name because they had never seen it before so Sister Case said they could just call me Sister Red Hair instead and they liked that way better haha so that's my new name. Maybe one day I can get a name sign and so people won't be so confused.
This weekend was Stake Conference and so we got to go to those meetings on Saturday and Sunday. Elder John C. Pingree of the 70 presided and I got to meet him as well. During the Saturday night adult session, President and Sister Spendlove were there and were asked to speak. President got up to talk and then called out all of the missionaries in the Stake. It's super cool because the Salt Lake Central Stake is one of the Stakes in our mission that has the most missionaries serving in it. We have 6 companionships in just one Stake. In our mission we sometimes have one companionship covering 2 or 3 stakes! The coolest thing about this weekend was that the Sunday session of Stake Conference was held at the Assembly Hall at Temple Square. It's the super pretty church building that is right next to the old tabernacle on Temple Square, which is like one of my favorite places ever!
Something pretty funny happened the other week and I totally forgot to put it in my email last week. We were at dinner and this little boy comes up to me and pointing at my face asks, "What happened to your face?" He was pointing at my acne and he thought that I had hurt myself some other way. He asked it I fell on my face and scratched it and I ended up just telling him, "just wait till you get older". We all got a good laugh out of it and I realized then that Utah has only made my acne worse but he I don't care because I'm doing the Lords work haha. The little boy and I are still friends so it's all good.
Well this email is already long enough but I love and miss you all. Oh and as of this exact day I'll be home in exactly one year. Crazy to think how much has already happened and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Love Sister McCammon
 
 
 
When you live in the basement and have no reception to send text messages to our investigators.
 


When she wants to get tan and stay in the Sun while I hide in any shade I can find.
 
Stake Conference at the Assembly Hall.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment